Did you know that Our Savior’s Way has a Comfort Dog? If you’ve been fortunate enough to meet Amos, you will know that he is the sweetest, most loving dog in the world. He is a pure bred Golden Retriever and just turned 4 years old. He has been extensively trained for his program and is very well mannered. During the pandemic, he has been visiting those who need comfort in a more virtual role. He visited our school virtually this week and will begin in person visits this month.
Here are the COVID-19 precautions that Amos’s handlers are taking:
- We follow all state and OSWLC guidelines for mask wearing, social distancing and symptom monitoring by our team and we expect the same of those we visit.
- We keep 6 feet distance between handlers and others. Amos’s leash is 6 feet long, when others are visiting and petting him we step back to allow this space. With young children visiting and petting Amos there will be an adult close by to assist and guide them.
- We will need to limit the number of people approaching and visiting Amos to maintain social distance guidelines.
- We have hand sanitizer available to sanitize hands before and after touching Amos.
- According to our vet and the CDC, there is no evidence that the virus can spread to people from the skin, fur or hair of pets. However, we use pet safe sanitizer sprays and wipes to clean high touch areas on Amos, his leash and vest as needed. Amos will arrive to the visits clean and we are not currently scheduling in person visits at more than one site per day.
For more information about Amos and the wonderful Comfort Dog program, visit his Facebook page at Amos Comfort Dog.