“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.”
At the core foundation of our school is a commitment to providing our students with a Lutheran based education through the instrumental instruction of excellent educators, administrators and support staff. We hire experienced, trustworthy, devoted, and highly qualified individuals who value providing our students with exceptional education and care.
With over 100 members of our “Team Super” staff, parents can have peace of mind knowing that their child is always being taken care of with complete attention and dedication to their emotional, spiritual and educational journeys.
Our Team Includes
- Administrative Team – Our administrative team includes our director, Ned Waterhouse, as well as our enrollment coordinator, staffing manager, educational specialist, special events coordinator, purchasing manager, and receptionist. They work both behind the scenes as well as with families and in the classroom with teachers and children.
- Lead Teachers – Our classrooms are managed by co-lead teachers who are responsible for planning lessons and activities for their students. Lead teachers are provided with ongoing professional development and support from the administrative team. They also make sure parents stay involved in their child’s progress, through daily updates on Tadpoles, class newsletters and e-mails, and invitations to participate in special class activities.
- Specialty Teachers – These teachers offer instruction in Music, Spanish, Faith, and Physical Education. Classrooms are visited by our Music and Spanish teacher once a week for instruction, and each class spends daily time in our “Big Room” with large movement activities led by our Physical Education teacher. Our Family Faith Coach and church Pastors lead a weekly chapel with music, movement, and Bible stories.
- Rotating Teachers – These teachers rotate throughout the day, providing planning times for teachers, covering lunch breaks, and standing in for teachers who might be out ill or on vacation.
- Kitchen and Housekeepers – Our in-house chef prepares nutritious snacks and hot lunches daily to encourage the development of lifelong healthy eating habits (see our menus). A morning and afternoon snack is served to children in their classrooms, and warm lunches are served to full-day and extended-day classes. Housekeepers perform many of the functions necessary to keep our school running smoothly. They are on-hand and available to clean up the messes that happen so often with little ones.
We are proud to acknowledge and appreciate our teachers with recognition on our Facebook site as well as periodic surprises (breakfast bar, donuts and coffee, and pot-luck lunches) throughout the year.
In May, we celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week with daily activities and gifts for our wonderful teachers and staff. We are very proud and thankful for our “Team Awesome” staff, and we appreciate all they do to support the mission and goals of Open Arms!
Ned Waterhouse, Director
Ned has worked for 38 years in public education. He joined Loudoun County Public Schools in 1977 as a school psychologist and worked as supervisor and then director of special education, assistant superintendent for pupil services, and as the deputy superintendent for his last 15 years there. He has been a member of Our Savior’s Way Lutheran Church for the past six years and has been Director of Open Arms Christian Child Development Center since February 2017. Ned has four adult children and two (soon to be three) grandchildren.